“But I spent (…) almost an hour in a porta potty, waiting for this downpour (…) to pass.”

And because my cell phone had no signal in that area, I couldn’t keep track of the weather, the radar, anything like that. So I started to head back. I got about maybe 100 yards, 200 yards, heading back on my journey, when I could see the rain just come across the fields and across the complex. And I’m like, “Oh no.” I’ve got, you know, $2,000 worth of camera equipment around my neck. There’s no way I am going to get back to my car running into a downpour and not have my cameras ruined. So I had to look for shelter and near me was a block of unused porta potties. So I ran for one of the porta potties. The closest one happened to be an extra — a big one. It was, like, a two-person — well not, like, a two-seater, but, you know, where if — it was a family one where, you know, if you had to take a small child in there, you could and have room to move around. It had one of those little sinks, you know, with the hand sanitizer type things, I guess you could call it a luxury porta potty. But I got to that just in time, I got in and the wind came up, the rain came down. So I actually had to stand in this porta potty with the door closed because the wind was so much that it was swirling around. And if I tried to open the door, I was getting rain and mist thrown into my face and onto my camera. So I would say for about 45 minutes to maybe close to an hour, maybe 50, 55 minutes, I was stuck in this porta potty during this downpour. I managed to get one bar of service and I was texting people I knew saying, “Hey, can you check the radar?” ‘Cause I didn’t have enough signal to check the radar myself. “Can you check the radar to see how much longer I’m gonna be stuck in here?” Well nobody I was texting had much of a signal or they were busy or they couldn’t check the radar themselves, I just had to wait it out. Turns out it was around 50, 55 minutes. It let up, I ran to a tent that was further west, maybe 50, 60 yards west, and ‘cause it started to rain a little harder again. So, I got under there and stood under there for a little bit. And then someone I knew from one of the security services was passing by, and I flagged them down and said, “Hey, can I catch a ride back to my car?” And he said sure, ‘cause he was driving a pickup. So I jumped in and he was so nice, he drove me through all the security checkpoints to get the shortest route back to the parking lot where my car was. And for that, I was glad and managed to get back to my car. But I spent, you know, almost an hour in a porta potty, waiting for this downpour — that was so heavy, I mean, it almost looked like it was foggy outside — to pass.

Recent Stories